Netcare scoops national CSR award for third consecutive year
Netcare has been awarded the 2015 national PMR.africa Diamond Arrow Award
Netcare has been awarded the 2015 national PMR.africa Diamond Arrow Award in the category, private hospital and clinic groups, in recognition of the group’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes and initiatives in 2014. The award is based on the results of a national survey that was conducted among government officials and representatives of leading South African companies.
This is the third consecutive year that Netcare has been recognised by PMR.africa. In 2014, Netcare also received the Diamond Arrow Award, and the year before, the Golden Arrow Award.
“This bears testimony to the fact that Netcare management, staff and supporting doctors do not view CSR as merely fulfilling a duty to society but rather, see reaching out to less privileged communities and individuals as being deeply ingrained in the fabric of our organisation. Moreover, Netcare’s CSR programmes and initiatives continue to contribute to the group’s core purpose, which is to help care for the health of humankind,” says Mande Toubkin, general manager CSI at Netcare.
In 2014, Netcare spent more than R47 million on CSR initiatives, which were mainly channelled through the activities of the Netcare Foundation. These initiatives involved the provision of the following services to the less fortunate, which included:
- emergency medical services;
- programmes such as specialised craniofacial surgery to correct severe facial anomalies, cleft lip and palate surgery, as well as cataract surgery;
- community health and welfare sponsorships such as the Feed for Life initiative. In order to help reduce infant mortality, Netcare has established breastmilk banks in a number of its maternity units and donates breastmilk to the South African Breastmilk Reserve for distribution to premature babies in public and private hospitals;
- bursaries and academic sponsorships such as the Hamilton Naki Clinical Scholarship; and
- medical treatment provided in response to ad hoc requests to the Netcare Foundation.
For more information on the Netcare Foundation or Netcare’s CSR programmes and initiatives, email [email protected]
Issued by: Martina Nicholson Associates (MNA) on behalf of Netcare
Contact: Martina Nicholson, Graeme Swinney, Sarah Wilson or Jillian Penaluna
Telephone: (011) 469 3016
Email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected]