Update on key developments at Netcare Alberlito Hospital
Future availability of maternal and healthcare services for children
A group of doctors representing paediatricians and obstetricians practising at Netcare Alberlito Hospital and a delegation of senior Netcare executives yesterday met to discuss how best to optimise healthcare skills and resources to the benefit of the community of Ballito.
According to Professor Andre Van Niekerk, spokesperson for the practising paediatricians and Sara Nayager, regional manager of Netcare’s KZN hospital division, the discussions were fruitful, transparent and common ground was found with many of the challenges resolved.
Nayager confirmed that Netcare has committed to continue supporting the existing specialists and would continue to provide doctors with consulting rooms adjacent to the hospital. In terms of the current services the following key decisions were made by Netcare and the doctors:
- A dedicated paediatric ward, accommodating overnight and day admissions – albeit with fewer beds will remain in place.
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Women’s health and gynaecological surgery outside of pregnancy would continue unabated without any changes.
- The current birthing and neonatal facilities and services will be available until the end of June 2023. Thereafter, as from 1 July 2023 Netcare Alberlito Hospital will no longer be able to accommodate these services in Ballito.
- Netcare has indicated that it would be willing to transfer the required license to a separate, independent facility, subject to approval from the Department of Health.
- Netcare Alberlito Hospital’s emergency department will continue to provide treatment for paediatric patients. Patients with obstetric emergencies will be stabilised and transferred to suitable hospitals with obstetric units.
“This open consultation process represents a notable and collaborative commitment to reach a workable conclusion on how best the interests of the community could be served going forward,” commented Professor Van Niekerk.
“We remain dedicated to the community of Ballito. We furthermore wish to thank the doctors and other healthcare professionals practising at Netcare Alberlito Hospital for putting the interests of the community first,” concluded Nayager.
Looking for a medical appointment? Netcare appointmed™ will make appointments for YOU with specialists practising at Netcare hospitals, GPs, and dentists at Medicross medical and dental centres, and specialists at Akeso mental health facilities. Simply request an appointment online at www.netcare.co.za/Request-a-medical-appointment or phone Netcare appointmed™ on 0860 555 565, Mondays to Fridays between 08:00 and 17:00.
To find out more about the services offered through Netcare hospitals and other of the Group’s facilities, please visit www.netcare.co.za or contact the Netcare customer service centre either by email at [email protected] or phone 0860 NETCARE (0860 638 2273). Note that the centre operates Mondays to Fridays from 08:00 to 16:00.
For media enquiries, contact MNA at the contact details listed below.
Issued by: MNA on behalf of Netcare Alberlito Hospital
For media enquiries contact: Martina Nicholson, Meggan Saville, Estene Lotriet-Vorster or Clementine Forsthofer
Telephone: (011) 469 3016
Email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] [email protected] or [email protected]